Monday, November 4, 2013

Observation 2

Last Wednesday, I returned to the lab and had a very successful session identifying different organisms.  I started off on a microscope, where I scanned through the entire micro-aquarium back and forth several times.  I wanted to see what type of activity was happening throughout the slide.  I noticed many more organisms eating the plant stems but also floating around in the open water.  The light from the microscope had no effect on the them, as they did not scurry off like they did in earlier observations.  Most of the organisms were staying in the middle of the aquarium.  One of such creatures was the midge, which I wasn't able to get a picture.  I also discovered several Euclanis Rotifera floating around the open water (Pennak, p. 171).
I then moved to the computer and recorded two videos of activity within my micro-aquarium. The first shows an anisonema stationary (Patterson, p. 54).

This second video exposes a coleps in the micro-aquarium, while a euplotes flies by (p. 163).  Dr. McFarland assisted me in identifying these two organisms, research which I discovered in the Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States and Free-living Freshwater Protozoa. I will gather more pictures this week, hopefully of the midge because I had a great time observing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment